Saturday, June 21, 2014

Bump Update: Week 23

I was reading through on of those Facebook articles today - it was on birth records - longest gestation period, most kids fathered by one man (800 by the way!), etc.  The one that really stuck out to me was that of the youngest baby to ever live.

You see, I just mentioned to Justin last night that in just one more week our little Sprout would have a chance at surviving on her own.  It would still be a fight for sure and probably a slim chance - but the chance is definitely there at 24 weeks.  And that thought alone gives me a little more peace.

*WARNING* This is about to get a little bit real.  The youngest baby to ever live outside of the womb was born at just 22 weeks!  She weighed 10oz and was only 9.5 inches long.  And she is still living today!  Isn't that amazing??

And then I stop and think about the number of abortions that are still being performed at 22 weeks, at 24 weeks!!!  It breaks my heart.  I'm not sure how a woman can feel those little kicks and not recognize the "fetus" as a life.  She is fully formed - every organ is there, her heart has been beating for 20 some weeks, she is alive!  I can feel the life inside of me.  

I mourn for all of the children who's lives were cut incredibly short because their mothers were entitled to a choice.  In my opinion, the choice is whether or not to be intimate with a man (and taking the proper precaution when you are).  If women are so powerful, then shouldn't we be able to control our "urges" until we are ready or capable of having a child?  I know there are extreme circumstances, and that isn't what I'm talking about.  I'm not talking about health situations or where the mother's life is at risk or some sort of rape scenario - I'm talking about the fact that taking the life (murdering) a child at 24 weeks gestation can simply be a choice because it isn't a boy or the woman decided she wasn't ready for a child or the money isn't there or she doesn't want her body to change...

We have gotten to such a place because society has convinced us that it is "all about me."  It isn't.  In so many ways.  And the moment you become pregnant - it isn't about you.  It is about the child.  The life that you created.

Okay, I'm going to get off of my soap box now.  This has just been bothering me lately as I'm feeling our baby girl more and learning about her little life.  :)

Squeezed this picture in right after I got out of the shower.  Taking a few minutes to take a picture shouldn't be such a difficult task.  lol.  But at the end of the day neither of us really feels like getting off the couch.  ha!



She's really poked out there hasn't she!?!?  Here is an awesome comparison photo:



This week, baby is the size of a: Papaya.  This is a little harder to judge since I don't often see papayas.  haha.  She is growing!  And her growth will double over the next month!  That's crazy!

Next appointment: Tuesday!  Meeting the last doctor in the practice so that's exciting!  And then we have another ultrasound on Wednesday (yay!). 

Total Weight Gain/Loss: We'll see officially how much at the doctor's office but according to my usual scale I'm only 3 lbs away from pre-pregnancy which means I'm gaining like I should be!  And maybe a little more because I'm eating like mad now.  haha.

Exercise: Lots of different stuff this weekend but looks like the weather here is going to keep me inside.  :(

Maternity Clothes: Getting pretty close.  But not yet.

Sleep: Slept pretty great during our extended weekend in Michigan.  And we were even on an air mattress!  But then we came back home to no air conditioning and I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep at all last night.  Literally.  We're hopefully getting a window unit soon but its hard to keep a fan in the window when its down pouring constantly...

Food Cravings/Aversions: Nada.

Movement: Oh...my...word.  She is like a ninja or an acrobat or something.  haha.  Our drive to Michigan started it - probably a lot more rest time from me than she was used to.  But the trend has kept up.  I feel her off and on throughout the day but a lot during the night and early morning.  Hubby has even gotten to feel her a few times!  He says its just a gentle tap but it feels like a little more than that to me.  ;)   Absolutely loving all of this movement...except for when she keeps me up at night.  lol.

What I Miss: This week is definitely sushi.  Talked a lot about it which makes me want it even more.  haha. 

What I'm Loving: Movement!      

What I'm Looking Forward To: Our ultrasound!  :D

Best Moment This Week: Hubby getting to feel Sprout moving!  I loved how much more involved he can be now.  He is so affectionate.

Milestones: She can officially hear everything that I do!  But not in quite the same way since all that noise has to go through my muscles, the uterus, and all the fluid she is currently hanging out in...

Goals: Transplant our herbs.  Touch up paint in bedroom.  Get baby stuff found at yard sales cleaned up and moved in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)