Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What is a Lamp without Light?

Confidence and light - you didn't know they had anything in common did you?  David's confidence came from the Light, as should ours.

Psalm 27:1-3
1The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.
Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.


This is one of my very favorite passages of Scripture. It reminds me that I have nothing to fear, nothing to worry about for God is my light and my salvation, He is with me always.

There are two things that really jump out here, two things I would have missed if I had not been studying His word (for more on this subject, check out this blog post).  

First of all, the literal translation of the last line is much different than how the NASB (and many others) translate it.  The KJV and a few others are close, but still not literal.  The NASB added 'spite of' - they noted this by putting the words in italics.  Without the added words, it reads, "In this I shall be confident" - a little closer but still.  'Ithiy'el is the Hebrew word used in this line.  While most translations use 'in this' (probably to be less repetitive), the literal translation is: "God is with me" (Strong's H384).  I like that reading SO much better, I think instead of being repetitive, it adds even more: "God is with me, I shall be confident."  Go ahead and reread those few verses and make the changes.  It sounds nice doesn't it?

In 2 Samuel 21:17, David is referred to as the lamp of Israel. Here we hear him saying, "The Lord is my light and my salvation" - what is a lamp without light?  Just decoration, it doesn't do anything.  David knew he was nothing without the Lord - so he gave credit where credit was due.  He knew that his glory, his safety, his very life were all because of the Lord.  This is where his confidence stems from!  David's confidence in the Lord is tremendously evident in these few verses.  It is incredible!

The Expositor's Commentary notes, "There is much to fear unless He is our light, and they who will not begin with the Psalmist's confidence have no right to repeat His courage" (emphasis added).  We have nothing to fear!  We have nothing to dread!  We have nothing to worry about!  God is with me.

As David knew and did: "Tough times comes...they happen.  Let those moments become moments to reflect Light" (Henry Scoff).  When tough times come, I pray that our confidence in the Lord is a witness to the world.

I challenge you to be confident in Him today.  He is with you!  Don't just be a lamp, make sure you have the Light! 



Bri Sherman 
Independent Distributor, It Works! Global™

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)