Monday, August 5, 2013

Respect Challenge: Week 14

Quick Recap - I am on a 25 week journey to becoming a more respectful wife.  I want to be the best wife my husband could ever ask for!  I found my inspiration over at Loving Life at HomePlease feel free to join me on this journey...it might even change your marriage...  ;)  For ALL of the 'Respect Challenge' posts check out the tabs at the top of the page!

Cherish Togetherness.

Jennifer notes, "I love to sit near my husband, whether at home or away. Our church shares potluck dinners every Sunday afternoon, and although the men and women normally sit separately to visit, I like to position myself close enough to my husband that I can listen to the conversation, as I think everything he says is so interesting. At home, I’ll take my book or handwork to whatever room in the house he’s working in, just to be close to him, because I enjoy his company, even when neither of us is talking."

Proverbs 31:27 -  She looks well to the ways of her household, / And does not eat the bread of idleness.


Hubby and I see very differently when it comes to cherishing togetherness.  This made the challenge rather difficult for me.  Where as I am completely at peace and enjoying every moment of us "working" alongside one another - him doing what he enjoys (usually TV) and me working on crafts or blogs or budgets or anything I can do while sitting in the living room in his presence.  However, Hubby does not like all of my 'doing' - he would rather our togetherness be me sitting beside him, watching TV, doing nothing.  This week was an especially hard week for that because we are in the midst of a lot of change, I'm heading up a big even that falls in early September, and on top of that we leave for a 2 week vacation in just 13 days (Yay!).  I feel like I've got to constantly be doing in order to keep my head above water.  It took me a lot of effort to put my things aside and cherish our togetherness in a way that I knew Hubby would enjoy.  One night he asked me to just rub his head (this is a usual go to when he is stressed).  Cute right?  ;)  It took a LOT of will power to put aside what I  was working on and give him the attention he needed.  

I have two places that I really love to cherish our togetherness.

1. At church.  I love laying my hand in his lap while we listen to the sermon and soak in God's word.  Or holding his hand while we pray.  I believe that because we put God first in our relationship, that we somehow feel even closer to one another when we our in His presence and His community.
 
2. In the car.  We currently live 45 minutes from our church and about an hour and fifteen from our family.  We usually make the long drive to see our family about twice a month and the trip to our church about twice a week.  This leaves a lot of time for us to talk.  And while I am, admittedly, still 'doing' a lot on my smart phone, we have most of our tough talks and life discussions in the car.  Once we move (which is potentially very soon), I think I'm going to really miss those car rides.  
 
On a side note, our Love Dare challenge today is to not do something we usually do so that we can take that time and do something our spouse would rather do.  It is the perfect conclusion to a week of cherishing togetherness, don't you think?  I love how God works! 



HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)