Saturday, August 18, 2012

Creating Your Fear

A couple of weeks ago, I spent my first night alone in our apartment.  I had previously spent a few evenings without my hubby, but always at my parents house.  This time, I would be staying alone, with the only person I knew closer than 45 minutes away was my boss.  As I sat watching television, I dreaded having to turn out the lights and go to bed.  But eventually, I knew I would have to.  At around 11, I finally caved, knowing I would have to get up early for church. I left the light on the coffee table on, made sure the door was locked, grabbed a pocket knife out of Justin's tool box and headed to my bedroom.  I shut the door behind me, placed our box fan strategically in front of the door (this way if the door opened I would hear the fan fall), made sure the pocket knife was in an easily accessible place, and I turned out the lights.  I then spent what felt like hours praying, until I fell asleep.  Ridiculous right?  I had no reason to fear.  We live in a quiet neighborhood where we probably don't even need to lock our door at night.  I hadn't been watching scary movies or reading ghost stories.  Yet, my imagination ran away...knowing I would be alone, my heart panicked and I immediately began to think of all the things that could go wrong.  

Deuteronomy 28:67 - In the morning you shall say, "If only it were evening!" and at evening you shall say, "If only it were morning!" because of the dread that your heart shall feel, and the sights that your eyes shall see. (ESV)

How often do we let our hearts, our imaginations run wild?  We let things that don't even make sense, sneak into our hearts and terrify us!  As in this verse, "The terror arises not only from the sight of the eyes, but from the fear of the heart, not only from real dangers, but from imaginary ones; the cause of fear, when they come to be inquired to, often prove to be only the creatures of the fancy" (Henry).

What do you fear today?  Do you fear losing a child?  Becoming ill?  I think my biggest fear is not being able to have children.  How much of this do we create in our minds and terrify our own hearts?  Why do we do this to ourselves?

Isaiah 41:10 says "Do not fear for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

God has promised us that He will be there!  We are told not to fear!  If we could truly grasp this concept life would be so much better: "Happy they whose minds, being stayed on God, are quiet from the fear of evil" (Henry).

I challenge you today to let go of your fear.  Whatever may be causing dread in your heart, let it go.  Write Isaiah 41:10 on a note card or a post-it and stick it where you will see it each day.  "Do not fear for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)