Friday, August 31, 2012

A Matter of Life and Death

One of my pet-peeves is when people don't take their jobs seriously.  I worked fast food throughout high school and I always took my job seriously.  And a lot of times, I felt like I was the only one.  I'm sure some of you can relate.  And, yes, I'm sure I've had a day or two now and then where I slacked off and didn't take my job as seriously as I should have.  But I think that's the problem with our society.  We don't take anything seriously enough!

Deuteronomy 32: 46-47 - 46 he said to them, "Take to your heart all the words with which I am warning you today, which you shall command your sons to observe carefully, even all the words of this law.  47 For it is not an idle word for you; indeed it is your life.  And by this word you will prolong your days in the land, which you are about to cross the Jordan to possess." 

Did you catch that?  These words, aka the Bible, are your life!  

The Hebrew word for "take" is suwm meaning "to put, place, set, appoint, make" (Strong's H7760).  We are "to put" these words on our heart!  All of them!  Not only are we to put them on our own hearts but we are to command our sons to do so as well.

But why?  Why is the Word so important?

Because it is not an idle word...

"It is not an indifferent thing, but of absolute necessity; it is not a trifle, but a matter of consequence, a matter of life and death; mind it, and you are made forever; neglect it and you are for ever undone." - Matthew Henry

"It is not an unprofitable or contemptible work I advise you to, but well worthy of your most serious care."  John Wesley

Take a look at some of those words and phrases, "not an indifferent thing," "absolute necessity," "a matter of consequence," "matter of life and death," "worthy," "serious care"...

Do you get it now?  The Word is a serious matter.  As the verse goes onto say, indeed it is your life...  For me, there is such a power in those words!  That means we cannot truly live without the Word!  It amazes me today that some people deny the accuracy of the Bible, even Christians!  But the truth is, every bit of it is true!  And we need all the truth we can get to survive in today's crazy world!

Do you view the Bible seriously?

Do you believe everything the Bible has to say?

Have you put the Word on your your heart?

Take a moment today and jot down any areas of the Bible you have a hard time believing or that you don't take seriously.  If you are struggling with belief, talk to a pastor or mentor.  If you aren't taking something seriously, change that!  We can't pick and choose what we believe and don't believe or what we listen to and don't listen to.  This is an all or nothing situation, a matter of life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)