Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Behind the Name: Obadiah Ryker

Is there anything more difficult than picking a name for a child?  Not only is it difficult to find something you both agree on, but you are literally defining someone's life.  What if that child grows up to hate their name?  What if you didn't think of a horrible nickname that, inevitably, someone else discovers in Jr. High...

We went through a very extensive list this time around.  And it was tough.  Aelah's name has so much meaning and significance (check it out here).  So I wanted something with meaning for our son as well.  There were a few times that we thought about just giving him a name because we liked the way it sounded.  But then I would hear something about the definition of a name bearing so much importance...especially Biblically.  So we decided that his name should definitely mean something.

After nixing all but two names on our list, we had narrowed it down to two.  He was stuck on one and I was stuck on a different one.  And neither of us would budge.  I had decided that I would just wait until delivery day.  Then there was no way he could tell me no.  ;)

But I decided to take the high road and started making a new list.  I stumbled across "Obi" which is of African origin and means "heart" or "center of."  I suggested it.  Knowing Justin would have some objections to the association with Star Wars.  He did at first.  But then he asked me a couple of nights later what I thought of the name Obadiah.  So I started doing my research: "servant or follower of the Lord" - loved it!  And, in 1 Kings, Obadiah is known for fearing the Lord and saving others.  It was perfect.  We have been in a season lately where we are learning what it truly means to serve, follow, and fear the Lord.

And I have already been calling him my little "Obi-wan."  :)

The middle name?  Both Justin and my dad have the middle name "Richard."  It tends to be used as a negative connotation for both of them...yeah....  A few seasons ago on Dancing with the Stars, we were rooting for Ryker Lynch.  And we both LOVED the name.  In fact, it was in the running for a first name.  But, apparently, it is currently in the top 100 baby names.  But when I looked up the meaning and origin, I knew it HAD to be his middle name - it is the Dutch version of Richard!

As the nurse at the hospital said, "That's a big name for such a tiny guy to grow into!" And I'm certain he will live up to it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)