Monday, March 30, 2015

Uniquely Daddy: Ginger Beer Kit

Spring has sprung!  And that means Mother's Day & Father's Day are just around the corner!  I already have a great list of Mom Gifts here.  It is constantly growing since I am a mom myself and I have the chance to review great products.

However, finding gifts for Dads can be much more difficult.  And, in honor of my Hubby's first official Father's Day, I've decided to do a review series focusing on unique gifts for Dads entitled 'Uniquely Daddy.'  There will be a growing list of great ideas here.  So without further ado, let me introduce you to the first great gift idea:


I was given a free Ginger Beer Kit in exchange for an open & honest review.  All opinions are my own.  
Hubby and I have recently discovered the wonder that is Ginger Beer (like Root Beer...it is alcohol free).  I enjoy it.  But Justin is obsessed.  He wants to try ever brand of ginger beer we can find.  So when I started looking for unique Father's Day gifts, I immediately thought of ginger beer.  And I stumbled across Manor Farm Hardwick.  They have a kit to make ginger beer!


Super fun right?

Not only can he have his ginger beer!  He can make it!  And let's face it, guys feel pretty macho when they can do something themselves, whether it is fixing the car, fixing the light or the sink, you name it.... I think it gives them a sense of accomplishment.  ;)

Here is what comes in the kit:


Ginger, Sugar, Yeast, and Directions.  Everything to make your own "Ginger Plant"

Here is what ours looked like:


Not really much of a plant but....
You do have to "feed" it every day so I guess that's where the idea comes from...

For a week your "plant" gets a little bit of ginger and sugar.

After a week, you get to prepare your ginger beer.

Two cool things here:

1. You could definitely make this a part of a date night.  If you can stand each other in the kitchen that is....haha.  But, really, we had a fun time putting it all together.  Even Hubby said if we had planned a little better, it could have been a really fun date night... Dinner and then making ginger beer!  

2. After you make the ginger beer, you can split whats left of the plant "start," split it in half and start TWO ginger beer plants!  The gift that keeps on giving!

Anyways...here are a few sneak peeks at what our night entailed:


Juicing lemons...

Cooking on the stove...

...and pouring the finished product into bottles.

After bottling, you have to wait three days to enjoy the delicious brew.  So, if the Daddy in your life is not a patient man, this may not be the best idea.  ;)

However, the end product is worth it!


Ginger Beer.   Mmmmmmm

We had 4 bottles and a little more out of our one ginger plant.  And it is good.  To be fair, it isn't quite as "gingery" as some of the ginger beers you can buy in the store...but there is something refreshing about the fact that we did this.  Hubby and I as a team.

And isn't that the best gift you can give?  You and your husband working together, spending time with him, giving him a sense of accomplishment, and a refreshment to enjoy after a hard day's work.  And at only $5, it's a great deal!  Get one for the man in your life here.  They also have a Salt Beef Kit that you can get here.

And guess what!?!  Manor Farm Hardwick sent me an extra Ginger Beer Kit so I could give one away!  To enter, use the Giveaway Tool form below.  Good luck!



11 comments:

  1. My husband is a runner so I made for him in the past a gift basket with running gear like the goo pouches he eats for energy while running and socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! My hubby used to run...but that was before my time. ;)

      Delete
  2. I bought him a kit to build model cars because he loves them before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. One year for Valentine's Day we got a 3D puzzle of a dragon to put together (Asian theme date). That's as close to modeling as my husband has come I think...

      Delete
  3. One year I bought him an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully intend to have my kids do this through the years....but it may be awhile before our first is able. ;) Great idea though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. last year, I made my hubs some cufflinks. we have a shoe polish kit lined up for this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any. My Dad passed away a year ago March.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! We have friends that are obsessed with Ginger Beer and like home canning, etc. This would make a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)