Thursday, September 13, 2012

Last Words

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Live like you were dying?"  It makes you stop and think for a second doesn't it?  Here's another question, along those same lines: What would your last words be if you were to die today?

Joshua 23:14 - Now behold, today I am going the way of all the earth, and you know in all your hearts and in all your souls that not one word of all the good words which the Lord your God spoke concerning you has failed; all have been fulfilled for you, not one of them has failed."

When Joshua says that he is going the way of all the earth he is basically saying that he is about to die (Clarke).  'Way' in the Hebrew is derek meaning "way, road, distance, journey, manner" (Strong's H1870).  So, Joshua is going on the journey that everyone must go on.  

And these are the beginning of his last words.  I love that his last words are a reminder of the awesomeness of God.  It isn't about him, it never was.  He knew what was important and he wanted to make sure that the people he cared about knew that as well.  Joshua was a great example of the "I'm Third" mentality.  He put God first, others second, and himself last...even on his death bed.

I hope and pray that my last words, my last actions are a reminder to the rest of the world of what is truly important.  But the thing is, I cannot know when that moment will be.  I could die a death of natural causes 60 years from now and live a full life or a bizarre accident could take my life today.  So, yes, maybe we should live like we are dying.  My every action, my every word should show the world what is important - it should show them that I am third.

I challenge you today to live like you are third at ALL times.  If your life ended tomorrow would you be happy with the way you lived today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)