Monday, April 8, 2013

What Would You Do for a Klondike Bar?

Job 31:24-28
If I have put my confidence in gold,
And called fine gold my trust,
25 If I have gloated because my wealth was great,
And because my hand had secured so much;
26 If I have looked at the sun when it shone
Or the moon going in splendor,
27 And my heart became secretly enticed,
And my hand threw a kiss from my mouth,
28 That too would have been an iniquity call for judgment,
For I would have denied God above.

Did you know that worship of the sun and the moon is the most ancient form of idolatry (Wesley)?  I don't know for sure if I did or not, but every one of the commentaries I use mentioned it.  What I find odd, however, is that none of them tied the talk of idolatry in the last 3 verses of this paragraph with the talk of money and wealth in the first couple of verses.

To me, that is the ultimate form of idolatry in the present age, especially in the first world.  We are so driven by money.  There are 25 year old women who marry 75 year old men (and vice versa)...for money.  There are men and women selling their bodies, and sometimes the bodies of their very own children....for money.  People work their lives away...for money.  We give all our time and attention to money.

Don't get me wrong, I know there is a need to survive and, most often, you need some sort of money to do that.  But, "Our wealth is either advantageous or pernicious to us according as we stand affected to it.  If we make it our rest and our ruler, it will be our ruin; if we make it our servant, and an instrument of righteousness, it will be a blessing to us" (Henry).  You see, money becomes an idol when you put your confidence and trust in it (see vs.24).  If I were to tell you that you've just lost all of your money - no more checking, no more savings, no more IRA's or trust funds, no more stocks and bonds, no more coffee cans buried in the back yard - it is ALL gone.  Would you panic?  Worry?  Stop functioning?  Or would your confidence be elsewhere, say...God perhaps?  Would you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything would turn out alright because you trust the one and only God?  And what is your heart lured by?  Is it secretly enticed to do everything you can to make a buck (see vs. 27)?  Or is it lured away by Godly things and heavenly treasure?

Remember those old commercials: "What would you do for a Klondike bar?"  There were some pretty outrageous things being done in the name of Klondikes.  Well, "What would do for $5?"  Something outrageous?  What about for God - what would you do for Him?  Something outrageous?  If you are going to be doing anything "outrageous," I challenge you today to do something outrageous for God.  Make Him your only God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)