Friday, March 16, 2012

Grieving the Heart of God

Have you ever been hurt so much it hurt?  Have you lost someone you loved so much that your body physically ached at the absence their presence left behind?  Has someone hurt you to the point of physical pain?  Your chest is tight and stiff, it's hard to breath, each beat of your heart is like a hammer beating your chest from the inside out, your stomach is in knots...

Genesis 6:5-6:6 - "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.  The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart." 

Today was a simple lesson.  After sifting through all of my commentaries, all of my resources - one thing stood out: the word "grieved."  The Hebrew word "atsab" (ought-salve) holds the idea of hurt, pain...even the idea of torture (Strong's).  Our sin, our wickedness, tortures God's heart to that point of physical pain.  This saddens me - that kind of hurt is awful.  If you have ever experienced it, you know what I mean - you would do anything just to make the pain go away...but you can't, it lingers...

But the amazing part of all of this?  God loves us anyway.  Even after man grieved His heart He STILL sent His Son to die for us!  And He knows that we will still have our wicked, sinful days, that He will repeatedly be hurt to the point of physical pain.  

But He loves us anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you thought of this post! I love getting feedback from my readers and I always do my best to reply! :)